Today's Scripture

I have been feeling crummy lately so school has been an indoor affair. Any length of time out doors sets my head swimming and turns my breathing shallow (note to self: don't delay in buying allergy medicine next time).
Today is the second day in a row that I have felt particularly nasty and was in some need of MAJOR inspiration. I attempted to get Marley to do Scripture Study and Poetry Reading after breakfast but she wanted none of it. I tried again later in the morning, but she still didn't want to read anything. I was not feeling up for a struggle, so I just let it slide. It is, after all, Friday and she's been doing so well with our reading studies lately that I was going to give it up.
Long about lunch time, however, I asked again. "Marley, how about some scripture?"
"Nope. I don't want to read scripture."
"Poetry?" I asked, hoping to get some sort of literature into the day.
"Nope."
"Gulliver's Travels?"
"Um. Yeah. Gulliver Travel!"
So we finished reading chapter one.
When we finished, Marley looks at me and says, "So now we read scrisher!" Which is how she pronounces Scripture.
I didn't really have anything new planned so I just took up the Bible that a Mormon friend of mine gave me in high school and opened it up. We landed in 1 John. After a quick perusal and one page turn we landed here:

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
 (click for the full text we read)

Marley wanted me to read it four times to her and I was more than happy to oblige.
This is the kind of message I want to educate my daughter in. This is the kind of scripture that blows every hypocritical Christian I've ever met, seen, heard or read about out of the water.   God's love is only perfected in our love for one another... To me - this is what matters. This is exactly what I want my daughter to learn from Christianity, from religion in general. Whether or not she winds up believing in "God" - I want her to believe in love because truly, that is what God is.
This passage was exactly what I needed to "fill my cup" so to speak today. I still feel crummy from allergies, but at least I feel revitalized in one sense.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Gadget #4

 

Gadget #1

Gadget #2

Gadget #3